Monday, August 23, 2010

Birthday Party Payback

Friday night we had an early birthday celebration. Ryan and Casey were coming to town so they arranged with Robert and Carrie to take me out to dinner since they'll be busy next weekend when my birthday really is. Mike was still in Wisconsin and Lizzy was busy at school, so it was just us five.
It was a little disconcerting. They took my job.
You see I'm a planner, an organizer, okay - a boss. They asked where I'd like to go - in a certain geographical area - and then they did everything else. Even down to talking to Lizzy about her schedule and making reservations. They showed up with flowers and a ribbon-adorned bottle of wine. When it was time for the bill, they negotiated with the waitress for splitting it and I was left out.
Like I said, a little disconcerting. Don't get me wrong - it was fantastic and they made me proud. Later that night I even thought - "It's like payback for all those birthday parties I threw for them."
Then Saturday morning I read an article in Good Housekeeping about "Letting Go" and it got me to thinking. So much of this time of life for me is about letting go. Letting go of the planning, worrying, controlling. That sounds good, but still figuring out what it really looks like.
Although right now it looks like flowers and curls of bright ribbons.
I think I can get used to this.

No comments: