Monday, October 18, 2010

That's Just Not Possible

Mike and I left this morning when it was still dark. Pitch dark. He'll catch a train later today for the airport, so he needed a ride to work. Did I say it was dark? Headed into the city we watched the sky turn purple, then grayish blue, then the colors arrived. Pink, peach, orange, yellow and some deep rose encased in fog across the Chattahoochee. The lights of downtown could still be seen in the early morning dimness when I dropped him off at his office. Back up near home, I crested a hill and the sun in all it's glory peeped over the trees and turned the highway golden. Lights faded to unnecessary as the sky settled to solid blue. Night was completely over.
The sun, the one sun, the one I saw right here in Marietta performed this same miracle today also in Chattanooga; and Boston; and Montreal; and Lima, Peru. All pretty much at the same time. Right now the same sun is encoring this amazing feat over Calgary and El Paso.
And I don't think that's possible. Nope. Just not possible. Think about it for a few minutes and I'm sure you'll agree. And yet it's fact. Just like it's a fact that all those apple trees I saw covering acres of North Georgia on Saturday came from a tiny seed. Yet, that's not really possible either. Right?
So many folks say they find it hard to believe in God because they can't see him. Well, that doesn't seem to be a stumbling block for me. I'm stuck on the things right in front of my very eyes that can't be true. But then maybe the only path I can find toward believing the sun's power and the potential of an apple seed starts in my belief in God.
I do remember reading somewhere he makes "all things possible". Okay, that I can believe.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

I LOVE the way you paint pictures with your words. And still love the way your mind works. He is everywhere, all of the time. Impossible... but true!

Anonymous said...

Amen!!!

I think sunrises are my absolute favorite thing to look at. Such a reminder . . . Love this post.