Monday, October 4, 2010

Wisdom from Ferris

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. ---Ferris Bueller

The sun coming up through the Bradford Pear trees in my back yard is at the same position as when I took a picture of it in the spring. That morning, also cool, the trees were covered in white blossoms and the sun's rays pierced through in clear, yellow-white light. It was Spring in a picture.
Now the sun's rays are golden and the tree is covered in dark green, headed to burgundy, leaves. The morning is almost cold, especially for Georgia. We got down into the 40's last night.
Seems like I took the blossom picture only a few days ago.
That's what made the quote from Ferris Bueller come to mind.
Summer 2010 has come and gone. I don't think I have any regrets. Those things I wanted to do, I did. Big happenings came, were celebrated, and exist now in pictures and memories. Connections were strengthened, dreams solidified, pains appreciated and dealt with. The hard talks, the fun times, the days in the pool, the visits, the dinners on the deck.
When I think of not missing life, I often think of the fun, exciting things. But I'm coming to realize that a big part of not missing life is to not overlook the hard times, the lessons that truly make a difference. To not get through just surviving, but to really see what, or who, the problem is--even if it's myself. But sometimes that's hard - and not at all fun.
Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As annoying as that movie is to me...that phrase is right on. **smile**

Happy Monday