Thursday, September 16, 2010

Settling for Good Enough?

"Do your best", "put your best foot forward", "don't settle" are things I've heard - and said. Yet have you ever thought about this? If there is anything left to learn then your current effort can not be the "best".
You must "settle" at some point. At some point the manuscript has to be sent in, the resume mailed, the send button pushed. But to settle doesn't set well with what the world says.
"You can never be too skinny or too rich." And so we have anorexia and Bernie Madoff. Getting a 4.0 isn't good enough - weight those grades. And then there is giving 110%.
But what if for one day - I just did what I already know. If I didn't worry about also learning to knit, but just enjoyed crocheting? If I didn't look for a new recipe, but made something familiar? If I treated folks the way I know to treat them and didn't worry about what "more" I could do?
This train of thought came because of a Bible verse I found today, which I'd never noticed before.
"Only let us live up to what we have already attained." (Phillipians 3:16)
Now I know the Bible points to being "people of excellence" and "striving", but this little, non-heralded verse grabbed me this morning. It speaks of contentment and of the truth that most of us know what we need to know - we just need to do it.
And sometimes that's the bigger problem.

No comments: