Monday, September 14, 2009

Like a Disney movie

Hummingbirds dart around our yard, streaks of brown and green. Finches, looking like handfuls of lemon pudding, cross the deck in their scalloping flight pattern.
Yep, we attract birds like the princesses in Disney movies or that song from the seventies, "Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near? Just like me they long to be close to you." It's just that kind of love song, magical place at the Shostak house.
Or maybe the birds come because we have several finch feeders we keep filled with finch food. And the hummingbirds may actually be attracted to the bright red hummingbird feeder brimming with fresh sugar water. Yeah, on second thought, that's probably it.
Makes for a delightful time out on the deck. The finch feeders are long tubes with eight perches. The other day there were six finches and wrens on the perches and one big, red cardinal sitting in the saucer at the bottom. (All this frantic eating and waiting to eat reminds me of arriving at a McDonald's right behind a bus load of folks.)
So if the birds in our yard are not an accident, what about the people around me? Why are the friends I've gathered, gathered? Do I seek out friends with certain qualities? I know I stress that to my kids, but what about me?
Am I as intentional about attracting and choosing and sustaining the humans around me, as I am about the birds?

No comments: