Thursday, August 20, 2009

Longing to Belong

When my three kids were pre-16, a mom with older kids told me. "When they start driving every siren you hear makes you stop and think about where they are." She was right.
This morning I heard a siren and stopped to think if any of mine were on the road. Then I realized, that siren couldn't concern them, none of them are within 80 miles of here.
This time of transition is just that - TIME. Lizzy and I have chatted on the phone this week and she knows about the time thing. Nothing feels familiar to her and she knows time is the only way to change that. I reminded her it's practice for all the times she'll not belong in the future. She understands that and is being very wise and thoughtful.
I told her it doesn't feel settled here either - yet.
To go to bed and not leave lights on. Finding the kitchen looking just like I left it. Considering only Mike and my schedules for dinner. To be planning our vacation with no thoughts of teen friendly activities. It's all a little odd and unsettling. But not really sad, because it still feels temporary.
It's about not belonging.
Lizzy doesn't belong in Marietta or at her friends' college where she visited, and she doesn't belong on her campus - yet.
We don't belong in this empty nest - yet.
It takes time and effort to belong.
I wonder if that is one of the great things about heaven. We'll belong there immediately - we'll be at home and know it. Maybe that's why we want so much to belong here on earth? Maybe we have an inner desire for heaven. Hmmm, I like that.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Oh,I like this!! I have been having trouble with the belonging thing for a while. Humm!! Heaven!! Hey, look on the bright side you could have your mother in law move in. Like me. What fun.

Kay Dew Shostak said...

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for letting me know and I do know how you're looking for the bright side! Good luck!