Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's Not Fair!!!

When I was a child all I wanted was for my parents to be fair. To treat me the same way they treated my little brothers.
But my mean parents said, "No". They said to treat us fairly, or equally, was never their intention or goal. See how archaic and old-fashioned they were? They just didn't understand that everyone is supposed be treated fairly and equally.
So, what did I do when I had three kids?
Yeah, you guessed it. I threw fairness and equality out the window. You see - they are three different people, not only in their ages but in their needs and talents and drives. While one needed more help with school work, another one needed more help on their personal life. When one needed a kick in the pants to get started, why would I kick in the pants the one already well on their way?
And yet they every one, at some point or another told us, "It's not fair." Children beg, manipulate and threaten in the name of "Fairness". It's up to parents to not give in.
And yet, even in the adult soul, we yearn to be treated fairly. When our life isn't going well, we point to others so much less deserving and tell God, "It's not fair."
Wow, am I ever thankful that God doesn't cave to my whining and threatening. Because he knows me better than I know myself, he knows what I need--even if it's doesn't seem "Fair".
As I told a friend on facebook yesterday - I'll take God's justice over fairness, any day of the week.

No comments: