Thursday, July 16, 2009

Just Following Directions

When I called the court house voice mail last night it said those of us not picked for a jury are released from jury duty. Tuesday night the call said to call after 11 am on Wednesday and that call said to call back after 6 pm. So my jury duty ended up being only two full days.
What a strange experience. Almost surreal.
To know nothing, just do as told. The directions were always clear and polite. Cobb County Superior court impressed me. But still, here we were - hundred and thirty-two adults following directions about everything.
Then in the courtroom for jury selection we were asked questions, which we swore to answer truthfully. Friends in rehab? Family in law enforcement? Been arrested? Do you watch legal dramas on TV - which ones and why?
Who knew which answer to which question made you favorable and which caused you to be "struck."
Just following directions. Surreal, but it so expanded the boundaries of my time. With no decisions to make, no questions, no planning - time expanded. Without the constant stream of minutiae that steals minutes from my hours, I felt freer.
Can I tame some of the minutiae in my life to allow that expansion of time to happen outside the courthouse? Can I stop some of the scheduling and constant filling of the calendar? Can I watch a mindless show and not dwell on the time I'm wasting?
I'm not sure. I know I use to be able to do this when I was a kid. Is this another of those things Jesus meant when he said we needed to become like little children to enter the kingdom of heaven?
Can I not know everything long enough to relax?
Not sure.

2 comments:

Tracy Ruckman said...

And I would have been taking notes and notes - writing down all the details for scenes in future books!

I really like reading your blog - just like a box of chocolates ...

:-)

Kay Dew Shostak said...

Oooh, to be compared to chocolates. There is no higher compliment!
Thanks much,Tracy