Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Turn, Turn

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down
where we ought to be,
and when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained
to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
to turn, turn, will be our delight
till by turning, turning we come round right.


I found myself singing this song when I woke up. So why this song? A couple things come to mind.
Lizzy has been accepted at Georgia College and State for the next semester. She worked hard to make West Ga fit for her. Her brother, Ryan, has loved his four years there. My respect for her grew as I watched her turn, turn to discover who she was out there, away from us. What she wanted became clear to her only with the winnowing of external stuff.
As Ryan and Casey make wedding plans they are discovering having it all, comes with strings - and price tags. You have to widen your vision by turning, turning to see the whole picture. And, then, simplify the picture by identifying what's most important to you.
So why do we resist this turning, turning?
Sometimes, I think, it's just so hard to believe there really is a place where we will "come round right". We stop turning because we find a way to accept where we are. And, yet, that's not a bad thing, to be content.
But contentment and settling are two different things. I believe God in us knows where and when we should "come round right" and keeps pushing us to turn, turn until we're there.
"Lord, let me never forget to listen for your voice saying it's time to turn, turn so as to find myself in the place just right."

No comments: