Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Dangerous Words

"I just want everyone to be happy." - One of the most destructive sentences ever uttered. And yet, it's rather familiar, at least to me. I may not say it a lot, but I act it out. Often.
When I calculate the path of least aggravation to the most people I'll be in contact with, the goal is for everyone to be happy. Or at least not mad. Or at least not mad at me. My eyes and thoughts wander away from the intended focus of the event and I find myself focusing on what everyone will be thinking. Now, when I don't really care about the people - this doesn't seem to be a problem. Ever notice that? So the temptation to treat folks around me like strangers and stay focused on the real goal grows stronger. But, yeah, you know how that works out. Nobody's happy, including me.
Figuring out some maneuvers this morning (working on deepening that crease between my eyebrows) another phrase popped in my mind. "Do everything as unto the Lord." (Googled it and it's Colossians 3:23) And I remembered.
What I do and how I do it is between me and God. My purpose is to focus on God and do what he wants, not get bogged down in what the world, even my loved ones, want from me.
You see, my thoughts and desires tend to doing what keeps the most people happy (including myself). God's thoughts and desires tend to doing what's right. And Good.
You know what else? When I relax and let God be in charge - that crease between my eyebrows smooths right out.

No comments: