Thursday, March 25, 2010

Carpet versus Children

Yesterday was such a beautiful day I made time to sit on the deck and read a Good Housekeeping magazine. Problem is, when I read these home magazines my expectation level rises. Expectations for unstained, unworn carpet. Bright, cushioned deck furniture. Clean, organized work areas. Efficient, beautiful kitchens.
That's probably why I don't really enjoy HGTV like so many of my friends do. I want all that stuff for my house and yard, but I don't want to do the work or spend the money. I start thinking, "What would I do to the house, if I had an unlimited budget?" and that's not the kind of dreaming I enjoy because at the end of my dreams I like to be happier, feel better. Not be disappointed.
Why do we not like shows or movies where the kids are perfect? Or where marriages are all perfect? Because we feel like failures. A book where the kids are too good, families all too happy, would never make it. It's not reality the writer would be told.
So why do we subject ourselves to those perfect houses, perfect yards, perfect meals, perfect bodies, perfect vacations?
I don't know, but I think it's interesting where we want reality--and where we don't. Maybe it's about control.
Carpet? Controllable. People? Not controllable.
Where am I setting my self up for disillusionment? And why?

No comments: