Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wisdom is Easy, NOT

Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the Courage to change the things I can;
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

The Serenity Prayer
I think sometimes I don't take that Wisdom line seriously enough. It becomes more of a knowledge thing based partly on reason, but mostly on common knowledge and emotions. I believe I know the difference between what I can change, and what I cannot and that very pedestrian knowledge is what I act upon.
Sometimes I get smacked upside the head with some true Wisdom and then my perspective changes, but how often do I sincerely seek for Wisdom in the matters of what I can change, and what I cannot change?
And do I seek deeper Wisdom, or stop thinking along that line when a change I don't WANT to make pops up on my internal radar? Or a change that would be hard, unpopular, or mean me admitting a failure? Do I ignore deeper Wisdom when I shove my head against the same wall I've shoved it against time after time, refusing to accept the wall's validity, or necessity?
Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
and Wisdom to know the difference.
I'll add a line this morning:
And grant the desire to seek, then the perseverance to pursue and claim that Wisdom.

No comments: