Monday, June 28, 2010

If I'd Invented Birds. . .

Sitting outside having coffee this morning, two birds flew past me playing tag. At least that's what it looked like. They jetted off the feeder by the house and swooped over me and down to the lawn before skimming the grass and then soaring upwards and disappearing in the Bradford Pear trees at the back of the yard.
What would that feel like, to just dive into the air? To swoop and soar? Birds have always caught my eye and thoughts. I can totally see why God would've thought of making them. Like adding sprinkles on an ice cream cone, or jewelry on a woman.
But what got me this morning is he not only made things like that, he made them work. I think if I was God, I'd just have made birds. Centuries later as science developed people would've cut open birds to see how they fly and my birds would've just been full of stuff. My birds would've flown due to magic, due to I'm God and that's what I want. Seriously.
But God didn't do it that way. The more I find out, the more I have to believe in a creator. This stuff can't have just happened. Water, simple, good ole water, has a chemical breakdown. Photosynthesis is why leaves are green. Nerve endings are why I know my coffee is hot. How, cool - A Creator who not only creates but stirs our creativity by letting us figure it out.
If I had been God, when you wanted to figure something out, you'd end up saying, "Well, nothing makes sense, it's all just a bunch of mumbo jumbo" - and you would've been right.
Guess it's a good thing I'm not God, huh?