Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Love Books - always have

Walking into a bookstore or library must make my blood pressure drop. Smelling all those books relaxes me like nothing else - and always has. The first library I remember in my hometown was a little, old, red-brick house near the high school. It had all the original rooms, but every wall was lined with shelves full of books. It was tiny and a tight fit, but I still remember the half wall of kid books where I'd park.
Then there was the bookmobile that came every other Tuesday into my neighborhood and the lady in our neighborhood who kept up a little "public" library on the street behind mine. It was just three shelves in a nook behind her front door but she restocked it from the bookmobile and it was there "just in case".
Then the Civic Center was built in downtown Kingston and we got a brightly lit, wide open library. I missed the quaintness of the library in the house, but - oh my - so many more books to choose from.
There's a verse in Psalm 37 which says: Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
I used to think everyone felt about books the way I do, now I know it's truly something within me. A desire of my heart to be around books, to study them, and write them.
And you know what?
I believe when I walk into a bookstore or library and fill with joy - God does too. You see, he made me and he made my heart, then placed his desires in it.
What did he put in yours?

4 comments:

LynnRush said...

I think he placed a love of sports and athletics in mine. I could spend all day at a race cheering people on, you know?

My hubby's big into racing right now (triathlons) and I get such a thrill watching him compete, along with several of my friends.

I grew up on a house where my dad ran marathons. . . my mom played tennis....so it's ingrained in me, I think.

Great post. Thanks!

Kay Dew Shostak said...

That is so cool, Lynn. I also love sports, but def in a more observational way!

Rachel said...

You remembered what day the bookmobile came and how many shelves she had! Neither of which I recalled. You truly must have a unique relationship with books. I enjoy reading your posts and your descriptions of some books have encouraged me to read more. I'll be anxious to read your works when published.

Kay Dew Shostak said...

Thanks Rachel - and I've seen your quilts and it is amazing how we each have certain passions planted in our hearts!