Friday, April 23, 2010

Okay, I'm Nosy

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." --Albert Einstein
Saw this on a friends facebook status this morning and it sounded familiar. Although curious sounds better than what I usually call myself - Nosy. And I am. I'm nosy about what people are doing, why they are doing it and what they think about it. And not just when they are doing wrong things, although that would explain my fascination with all things titled "Real Housewives of wherever" - and also my time working with youth.
But why does my neighbor have a trailer attached to his truck this morning? What does the cashier think about working at Wal-mart when she's sixty years old? What would it be like to have always been skinny? Why would someone want a tatoo? How can all those people afford all those huge houses? Who lives in that little yellow house that was obviously there before all the subdivisions? Who built that house? What does it look like inside? Why are these people at the library? (oh and that can take half my time there as I try to figure each person out) Does that kid at the bus stop like school? Wonder if they're a bully? Or do they get bullied?
And what freedom to just admit to people you're nosy. They then know they don't have to answer my questions, cause I usually start with, "You know, I'm nosy and I was wondering . . ."
That was a favorite bit about working for the newspaper - I was paid to ask questions. And most folks love to be asked questions, especially if they've got something newsworthy like a new business, a bright idea, or a winning team.
Best part about being nosy, or curious, is it's really hard to be bored. Passionately Curious. I like that. It definitely sounds better than Nosy!
Think fast - look around you and come up with six questions you'd honestly like to know the answer to (just by looking around you, not delving into your life).
See, wasn't that fun?

1 comment:

Jfer said...

I have *always* been nosy. I love the fact that I'm not the only one that has those types of peculiar questions running through their head. Great job, Kay!