Friday, April 2, 2010

Walking a Broken Road

Found myself thinking over the past year this morning and how we got to where we are right now. How easy to just enjoy today and not think about the way it all came to be, or to glaze over the problems and romanticize the journey, but that just not the way it happened.
This time last year we were making the decision to leave the church we'd attended for ten years, reminders keep coming back from that difficult time of decision and then the painful time of separation.
When the boys both bought engagement rings this fall, I couldn't help but think of how they got to this lifetime love. The frustrations, doubts and broken hearts along the way.
Lizzy's rough time at West Georgia her first semester, meant our littlest one's first steps without us were pain-filled and lonely.
A quick read of this blog from back in November lays out my anguish and confusion with my writing. A dark time which I'm glad I put down in words so I can remember and honor it.
Tears of heart crushing gratitude can't be held back this morning when I examine where we are now. It's not a road I want to travel again, but where this road has led us all, can't be denied or uncelebrated.
And when the sky went dark and God was silent, I can't help but think Jesus looked back down the road that brought him to the cross in thankfulness. Thankfulness for the road, thankfulness it was behind him.
And he said, "It is finished."
Where has your road taken you this year? Take some time today, on this Good Friday, and think about where you've traveled and how you're different because of it. In this world we don't know where the road will take us or how things will turn out, but we do know this - Easter comes on Sunday - and Everything is new!

1 comment:

Katie Turner said...

I love looking back and seeing how far God has brought me. I think everyone should reflect on that every once in a while. It's good for the soul.

"Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you." -Psalm 116:7