Thursday, April 29, 2010

Philadelphia

My view as I write this is stunning. Downtown Philadelphia lays out my window. There's not a cloud in the sky. We're on the north end of town, where Mike grew up and so there are lots of trees and azaleas around the parks and museums. The Rodin museum is right across the road and in front of it is "The Thinker", yep that one. Just a little up the road from it is the Art Museum and at the base of the famous stairs is the Rocky statue. Yep, Rodin and Rocky within a block of each other.
It was this time of year, 27 years ago, when I first saw Mike's hometown. We'd been dating a few months and we came here for Spring Break during my senior year of college. We rode buses and trains and saw every part of the city the few days we were here. It was an incredibly new experience for a girl from East Tennessee. The boulevard leading to the Art Museum is wide and tree and sky-scraper lined. Every light post has a flag representing a different country on it. I still remember my first view of this and how awe-inspiring it was.
We're here for my father-in-law's funeral. Needless to say, I've been in memory over-load. Especially as I am delivering the eulogy, which had to be written and sent to the priest before we left Georgia.
Twenty-seven years since I first saw Philadelphia, met Mike's parents, became familiar with his childhood home. Twenty-seven years.
Life truly does fly by - so glad this town has been part of my life.

No comments: